Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Composing my frame


I took this photo shortly before sunset, when the sun was shining straight through the west windows of the Holland Building's front lobby. There are several measures I took to compose this frame, including mixing human and architectural elements. I followed the rule of thirds when taking this shot, placing the students' heads on the lower vertical third. I took the photo when there was more room in front of them to symbolize movement. The other "rule of third" lines are literally represented by the edges of the walls, the stone column, and the line on the ceiling.

There are also lines along the z-axis on the floor and walls leading into the middle of the photo, which is the light source. The sharp sunlight in the background provides a backdrop for the photo and makes the students, which is the focal point, stand out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment